Underpaid invoice

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Oct 3 09:47:53 EDT 2015

On Sat 3 October 15 14:30:07 Antonio Roberts wrote:
> I recently invoiced a company for £450. Due to exchange rates the
> amount I actually got was only £390. In gnuccash, when I go to process
> the invoice I enter £390 as the payment amount. However, When I do
> this it's still alerting me that they owe £60.
>
> I'll be sure in the future to make sure this company pays the correct
> amount, but in the meantime is there a way to write off the £60 that
> was lost due to exchange rates?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Antonio

Hi Antonio,

Firstly IANAA, so this may not be the "approved" way to handle this, but I've
done it this way when the bank split the international transfer fee between my
customer & me, so I wrote of the missing few £.

Process payment for the whole invoice - so £450 in your case. (delete any
initial payment transaction you have made first)

Then go to the payment transaction in the bank account, and split it so that
you have £450 to A/R, £390 to Bank and £60 going to some 3rd account -
possibly expenses:badDebt (I think i used expenses:bankFees), and use the memo
field to put some notes in about the currency conversion giving rise to the
loss.

HTH,
Maf.