Reference dates for net worth barchart

JD news-mail at gmx.net
Mon Oct 5 05:33:14 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I am tracking finances on a monthly basis, and use a net worth
barchart report to visualize the monthly change in the sum of all
assets minus liabilities. However there seems to be no way of telling
gnucash to report the values at the beginning of each month -- that
is, right before the start of the first day of each month.

I have set the start date to 2013-01-01, the end date to "end of
previous month", and the step size to "month". What I would expect
with these settings are the net worth values between the end of one
month and the beginning of the next. But what I get are the net worth
values at the end of every first day of the month, that is *after* all
bookings at the first day of the month. Except for the last entry,
where the value at the end of the last day of the last month is
displayed (as expected).

I tried setting the start date to the last day of some month, but then
the start date in each month depends on the number of days in the
previous month.

This problem has been discussed before, here:
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2013-November/051543.html
Back then there was no solution to this problem;
has the situation changed since then?

It would be really great if there was a way of telling gnucash what I
want, or if someone could give me a hint on how to achieve what I want
in any other way.

Thanks and best,
JD