Struggling with Invoicing Prepaid Service

Cyber-Wizard kdavison at cyber-wizard.ca
Sun Oct 11 08:55:19 EDT 2015

I've been using Freshbooks for invoicing and expense tracking for my
consulting business. It's time to move to something more full featured. As a
longtime Linux user, GnuCash is the obvious first choice. I'm testing
GnuCash 2.6.6 out now on Windows 10.

Many of my customers prepay for my time in blocks so I need to issue them an
invoice upfront and deduct from the paid amount as I work. I think that I
have the prepayment aspect working correctly but I'm struggling with Invoice
payment.

When I create an invoice, 13% HST is added on to the invoice according to
the tax table. For the sake of even numbers lets say the invoice is for
$5000 + $650 in applicable taxes. When I post the invoice I get $5000 in
Assets>Accounts Receivable
$650 in Liabilities>HST
This makes sense to me.

When I receive payment. I would like to have the $5000 go into
Liabilities>Unearned Revenue but I'm uncertain what to do with the remaining
$650. Receiving payment of the posted invoice puts all $5650 into the
Transfer account that I choose during the payment process. Obviously my
customer shouldn't have the full $5650 at their disposal, but I'm uncertain
what the logical steps would be to relocate that $650. I think my question
is probably more of an accounting issue than a GnuCash issue but I suspect
that I'll get better information here than elsewhere. Can anyone offer any
advice on how I should more appropriately receive payment on an invoice?