Split transaction and VAT

John Whitmore arigead at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 04:09:20 EDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 08:23:14AM +0100, Maf. King wrote:
> On Wed 21 October 15 23:09:46 John Whitmore wrote:
> > I'll start by saying that I'm easily confused by how finnance is delt with
> > so don't take it badly that I'm struggling with the GnuCash Tutorial
> > document.
> >
> > I've been practicing with GnuCash on my personal finances all year as a
> > prelude to running my own small company. Now I'm at the point where I'm
> > trying to add my first transaction to my company acconts. Now I have to use
> > splits!
> >
> > Say I've been paid 1,230 of which 230 is VAT (Value Added Tax) which at some
> > point has to be paid to the government. All this is coming from Company_A.
> >

> Hi John,
>
> > I have an Income account for Company_A So I go to that account and start a
> > new transaction by filling in a summary and clicking the "split
> > transaction" as suggested in the tutorial. So now I add one split of 1,000
> > into
> > Assets:CurrentAccount and 230 into Liabilities:VAT hit return and everything
> > disappears no transaction is recorded in the Income:Company_A Account.
>
> Just before you hit enter to record the transaction, does the split show 2 or
> 3 lines?  You should have a line for Income, A line for Bank, and a line for
> Output VAT (that's what it is called in the UK)
>
> If you are in the income account, the splits should be
> Bank:    1230         ---
> Income        ---           1000
> OutputVAT	   ---                230
>

> As an aside, is CompanyA representing your company or a customer of your
> company?

Thanks a million Maf,

I think I got it I was treating a split transaction as 2 "normal"
transactions, so I had one split row for the 1000 and one split row for the
vat. I actually needed a third row to tell GnuCash that the total was 1230 and
was coming out of Company_A account.

In what I'm callin a "Normal" transaction you'd never mention the Company_A in
a transaction. So I'd just add a transaction of 1230 into my current
account. As the transaction was added into the Account the other part of the
transaction is assumed to be this account.

I guess it's all this double book stuff. At every point in the system the
equation balances.

I do work for Company_A so I think they're a customer.