Windows 10 and lost backup files.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Oct 23 16:58:23 EDT 2015

> On Oct 23, 2015, at 12:31 PM, bobo <3daisy55 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've recently upgraded to Windows 10, and now cannot find any back-ups.  Can
> I manually set up a folder to save them to?

The following assumes that you’re using the XML backend; the SQL backends don’t make backups.
GnuCash puts its backups in the same folder that the data file is in. In fact, it just renames the last-opened file with a timestamp (so foo.gnucash will become foo.gnucash.20151023134738.gnucash) and then saves the state in memory to a new file with the same base name. I just tested this in Win10 and it works as expected. There is at present no way to have GnuCash use a different folder from the one holding the main data file for backups.

Regards,
John Ralls