Windows 10 and lost backup files.

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sat Oct 24 08:03:23 EDT 2015

On 10/24/2015 4:26 AM, bobo wrote:
> Thanks for your replies.
> 1.  Windows 10  does not appear to have a programmes/applications folder, so
> I cannot find any back-ups made since the upgrade.
1) THAT would be a directory where PROGRAMS exist, not DATA.
2) Refer to your "Windows 10 for Dummies" book to learn what it might be
called in Windows 10. When you go to a new operating system, no good
reason to believe everything will have the same name.
3) Have you disabled "do not show hidden files and folders"?
    But to repeat, that is NOT the directory in which you gnucash DATA
would be stored.

> 2. The C/ drive is named Windows 8, and contains historic backups
> pre-upgrade
See "2" above. Since I'm not using Windows 10 I have no idea what the
"user data" directory (file folder) is named in Windows 10.

3. I would like to be able to nominate a destination folder for the backups

Do you mean the interim backups created by gnucash? Or the backups you
need to make every so often of ALL of your user data?
> 4. Gnucash opens just fine, but the destination folder shown in the header
> bar is not searchable via file explorer
See "3" above. However I think you are talking about the target of the
shortcut for opening the program. Programs are NOT data.

Michael D Novack

PS: For 2, while I don't KNOW what Windows 10 uses, I would be willing
to place a small wager that whatever name you chose as a user (for your
log in to Windows 10) will be in the path name. But again, until you
have disabled "do not show hidden files and folders" you can't say what
"file explorer" will or will not show you. The default as Windows OS's
are shipped is "do not show".