Single Foreign Currency Account Payable

John Whitmore arigead at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 09:30:44 EDT 2015

Starting out on the Business side of things and on the wrong end of the
learning curve so there may be one or two stupid questions.

I'm operating in Euroland so all my accounts are in Euro. I've added a vendor
of amazon.co.uk and purchased a couple of items. They operate in GBP Sterling
so issue me an itemised bill in GBP but list the total payment in Euros
because I've paid with a Euro Debit Card.

Now I've added amazon as a GBP vender and created a Bill in which I enter the
various items in the sterling amounts and the 20% VAT

that's all good but the bill won't allow me to check the "Invoiced ?" field. I
assume because it don't like the currency.

I tried to post the bill but that won't happen either again I assume because
of the curreny issues.

I have read the Foreign Currency section but the examples there deal with
people who have actual Bank Accounts in US Dollars and Hong Kong whatevers. I
don't have multiple currency accounts I only have one, Euros.

Given all that I assume then that what I should do is change amazon to a Euro
account and convert all the currencies manually. I know it's not difficult
I've been given a total in GBP and in Euro so I should be able to work back
from that ;-)

My question is: Is there a simpler way? I guess I hoped that I could tell
GnuCash the total in Euro and that it would automatically convert the
individual items and VAT to the necessary Euro amounts before updating the
Expense Accounts and Liability accounts.

John