Finance::Quote Load Times

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Oct 25 17:04:04 EDT 2015

> On Oct 25, 2015, at 12:42 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 25, 2015, at 11:40 AM, Jed Diem <jed at tulane.edu> wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> I've attached two Activity Monitor files and a gnucash.trace file.  gnucash.trace1 goes with sample1  which taken at the beginning of the "Checking Finance::Quote"  splash screen message.
>>
>> During the gnucash run from which sample1 was taken I managed to grab  "perl"  from the Activity Monitor. It was there for very short time.
>> It's sample file is "Sample of perl5.18.”
>>

> Jed,
>
> Looks like the GnuCash thread is blocked waiting for input, which is what one would expect. It’s hard to be completely sure that it’s the read we think it is since we can’t see the Scheme level calls, only the C calls that they produce.
>
> I’m a bit troubled by the Perl trace because it seems to be from 3 minutes after the end of the gnucash.trace. Surely it’s from a second start attempt. I’m not surprised that it was brief. Did it occur near the beginning or the end of the “Finance::Quote” period?

A bit of Googling reminded me of dtruss, which will collect some useful information. (For any Linux users following along, it’s the BSD equivalent of strace.)

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. At the prompt type
  sudo dtruss -d -f -e -o -n Gnucash-bin > ~/gnucash.dtruss 2>&1
It will prompt for your password. Enter that, then launch Gnucash. When it gets past the Finance::Quote message and starts loading your data file, return to Terminal and type Control-C to stop dtruss. Attach ~/gnucash.dtruss to a reply.

Regards,
John Ralls