Budget, expense issue

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 30 20:07:41 EDT 2015

Thu, 29 Oct 2015 22:58:41
<CAB1ZzDzZmOnLzLRpucSfJYMnAf5NYV2KFVrfqmyKvBGa4q22EQ at mail.gmail.com>
Schuyler Kelley <zalethon at gmail.com> wrote...

>I am using version Bodhi linux -- an Ubuntu-based OS -- and version
>2.6.4
>of gnucash, the latest version in Ubuntu's repositories. (14.04
>Trusty,
>apparently)
>
>I am referring to the budgeting feature. When you open a budget, and
>enter
>figures for various accounts, there's a running total along the bottom
>of
>the window.
>
>If it's permitted to send an image to the mailing list, I'll send a
>screenshot along? I can more easily show you what I see than tell you.
>
>After 'a while,' figures I enter for an expense account are no longer
>included in any meaningful way in those totals. I can't figure out how
>reproduce the problem consistently, unfortunately, so 'a while' is
>about as
>specific as it gets...

How many expense accounts have you got?  It is possible that if it is a
large number (for some value of large) some internal table is running
out (just a guess).

Also check if all your sub totals match up, presuming you want them to.
When creating a budget you can do seemingly disconcerting things like
having

Expenses  1000
.. Food    140
.. Drink    50

which doesn't add up and it doesn't moan.  That isn't as dumb as it
appears as quite often budgets are set at a higher level than details
are recorded.

e.g. budget
        Expenses:Energy 1000
but record