Bank account balance incorrect after import from Quicken

Tom Allred tallred7 at triad.rr.com
Tue Sep 1 07:12:40 EDT 2015

Thanks.  Yes, gnucash is completely new to me but I've been using quicken
(double entry) since 1995.  I'll read the new user stuff before making any
more posts but since a cursory look at the help table of contents didn't
address troubleshooting imports that didn't have warning messages but
changed account balances, and faced with 20 years of account data to sift
through, I didn't even have a starting point to begin investigating.  I'll
check out the equity account you mentioned.  Since the opening balance was
20 years ago, I wasn't worried about the data in the offsetting dummy
account being in the wrong place.  I mentioned the Reconcile column because
quicken allowed you to manually change it to "y" or "n" or "c".  Not good
practice but again, 20 years ago, so I didn't want it showing up in a
current reconciliation.  Still don't understand why gnucash would create a
transaction that offsets an account's opening balance, thusly making the
current balance incorrect, but maybe the documentation will explain that.

Thanks again for getting me past the initial hump,
Tom

  _____