Bank account balance incorrect after import from Quicken

Tom Allred tallred7 at triad.rr.com
Tue Sep 1 21:42:42 EDT 2015

I kind of have to get hung up on the import consequences if not the
procedure because it threw off the checking account balance.  Need to run
reports out of both quicken and gnucash to see if there are any other
surprises.

Geert, I did not have an Equity:Opening Balances account, only a
Equity:Retained Earnings account.  Several accounts had that as the
offsetting account for opening balances.  Thinking that importing data to
create a new database might be the issue, I deleted the old database and
used File -> New to create a new empty database, only choosing the types of
accounts for it without setting up any actual accounts, then imported my
data into that.  Now there is an Equity:Opening Balances account but the
import process didn't use it.  For the primary checking account it once
again created an offsetting opening balances transaction into the checking
account which again threw the balance off by that amount.  In a second
checking account it did not create a new offsetting transaction for the
opening balance entry but used Equity:Retained Earnings instead of
Equity:Opening Balances for the offsetting account.  This checking account
had the correct balance.  Unless someone knows the best way to handle this
I'll figure it out.  Just wanted to report the odd behavior.
Thanks,
Tom