Report Problem Since Updating Gnucash

Matthew Lybanon lybanon at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 3 16:26:24 EDT 2015

I’d appreciating some help in tailoring a Gnucash report—or choosing the correct report.  Sorry about the length of this post.

A club I belong to has an annual show that’s big enough to have its own account, and I’m the “show treasurer.”  All I need to do is balance a checkbook—just income and expenditures, no salaries, taxes, investments, etc.  For years I’ve used Gnucash very happily.  The software is capable of a lot more than I use it for, and it does what I need very well.

For a long time I stuck with an old version (2.4.13) of Gnucash.  I recently upgraded to version 2.6.7, and everything is fine—except for one report.  (I run Gnucash on a Mac under OS X 10.5.5, but I don’t think that has anything to do with the issue.)

The report in question shows all the transactions (+ and -) for a month, in chronological order, with a running balance.  Here is the beginning of a report generated by Gnucash 2.4.13 (I saved the html file on my hard drive), column headings and the first transaction:
Date
Description
Transfer
Deposit
Withdrawal
Balance
07/06/2015
Check 1302 (details omitted)
Expenses:Check

$118.23 <gnc-register:split-guid=d372c061e18e55b63e9516bdeab75633%23>
$13,536.49 <gnc-register:split-guid=d372c061e18e55b63e9516bdeab75633%23>

(I apologize if the columns don’t line up.)  The amount in the rightmost column is the checkbook balance after the transaction.  And here is the beginning of the same report (for a later month) generated by Gnucash 2.6.7:

Date
Description
Transfer
Deposit
Withdrawal
Balance
08/06/2015
Check 1303 (details omitted)
Expenses:Check

$4,036.00 <gnc-register:split-guid=1fcf319a36c92431d5e149e36bd67fbc%23>
-$4,036.00 <gnc-register:split-guid=1fcf319a36c92431d5e149e36bd67fbc%23>
While the earlier report shows the checkbook balance after the transaction in the rightmost column, the later report doesn’t.  It shows the result of applying the transaction to a zero initial balance.  (What’s more, I still have the old report in a tab in Gnucash.  Instead of showing the checkbook balance after the transaction, as it did before, now the rightmost column of the old report shows the result of applying the transaction to a zero balance.  I understand that Gnucash re-generates reports each time it starts up—which means now old reports have the same problem as new ones.)

I’m obviously not a “power user” of Gnucash, but I’ll describe how I created the report.  In the Gnucash tab that shows, in effect, the checkbook register (Assets:Current Assets:MyAccount), I choose Filter By… in the View menu.  On the Date tab I choose Select Range/Choose Date, and enter the beginning and ending dates for the period I want.  Then I choose Account Report from the Reports menu.  I eliminate two columns I’m not interested in (Num and Memo), and there’s the report, showing the transactions for the selected period.

As well as I can remember, that’s how I did it when I was running Gnucash 2.4.13.  Can someone tell me what I need to do to have the “Balance” column show the running balance from the checkbook register, rather than what it shows now?