Need better documentation on using Lots [Was: Chapter 8 - investment accounts]

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Sep 8 01:08:38 EDT 2015

> On Sep 7, 2015, at 5:08 PM, Philip Walden <pcwalden at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> John Ralls wrote:

>>> Hi John
>>>
>>> Thanks for your swift reply. I think FIFO will work for me, but I am having trouble translating the "Concepts of Lots", the only documentation that I can locate, to the "View Lots..." screen functionality. For example, the screen menu button "Scrub" and what it does is not documented as far as I can determine.
>>>
>>> I was hoping for some kind of tutorial/pointers about how the screen functions translate to the "Concepts of Lots". Maybe there isn't any?
>>>
>>> Also, you mention a "manual" method not using the "View Lots..." screen. I cannot seem to find any other method, manual or otherwise, for "Lots" anywhere in gnc.
>>>
>>> _
>> Philip,
>>
>> The original subject of the thread you hijacked was “Chapter 8 - Investment accounts”. Have you studied that chapter?
>>
>> Chapter 8 of the guide is really titled “Investments”, and the English version can be read online at http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_invest.html.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
> Hi John
>
> Yes I have studied  Chapter 8 intently, particularly the 8.7 Selling Stock section. There is no mention of the "View Lots..." screen anywhere in that chapter.
>
> The 8.7 section discusses manually creating a stock sell splits, but There is no mention of how to specify a lot associating the sale with a buy.
>
> So I am assuming there is no documentation documenting how to use the "View Lots..." screen.
>
> After some painful experimentation I have come up with a somewhat poor recipe to record lots and capture capital gains. The pain/poorness comes from trying to translate the "proceeds", "cost basis" and "gain/loss" from my broker account reports into the "sell price" and "commission" in gnc, such that the capital gains gets recorded correctly. However, I do not feel that is a gnc problem.
>
> I'd like to thank "Mike" in a previous post for the clues to figure it out.
>
> Here is the recipe I am going to use going ahead.
>
> 1. record buy of stocks with care to get accurate cost of shares.
> 2. Actions > View Lots...: Select the added stock purchase record, press create lot.
> 3. record sell of same stocks. Do not follow Chapter 8.7 as it includes the gain/loss in the split. The split should only have the proceeds to the asset account, the commission, and the shares-price-sale.
> 4. Actions > View Lots...: Select the lot with the stocks just sold. The "Splits in Lot should show the selected purchase. The Splits Free should show the sale just created.
> 5. Select the sale in the Splits Free window.
> 6. Press the >> button to associate the Sale with the Buy.
> 7. Close the View Lots window.
> [...]

Philip,

I meant to study Chapter 8 to understand how to do it manually. There is no documentation on the View Lots dialog box. What’s more, I’ve tried it a few times and found that it works well in simple cases and less well when there are overlapping buys and sells — but I’ve only tried it using the “Scrub Lots” button which does your steps 5 & 6 automatically. Since you seem to have worked out a semi-automatic approach I suggest that you create a fake book and test it out in the scenarios you expect. If it works consistently for you, great!

Chapter 8.7 doesn’t include the gain in the split, it creates a new split pair in the transaction. If you prefer a separate transaction that’s OK, just create the splits as 8.7 explains in a new transaction instead of in the sell one.

Regards,
John Ralls