Importing data from another program

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Sep 9 08:33:40 EDT 2015

On 9/8/2015 6:09 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> On 9/8/2015 1:09 PM, Dan wrote:
>> Can I Export data to GNUCash in Excel Format?
>> The only thing I see in the help is importing  qif files from crappy
>> QuickBooks
>>
>> Dan
>>
> Search this list.  There have been several threads about importing
> spreadsheet data.  Sometimes it can be done directly, but more often
> users find a conversion utility to convert the data to QIF.  There is no
> universal solution.  Be prepared to experiment on test files with your data.
>
> David C

Since non-pros might not understand HOW to "experiment on test files"
here is a brief description of a possible process.

Assume you have obtained a utility to do the conversion. Well just
because a file is in the format "comma separated variables" doesn't mean
that the variables will be in the correct order expected. The utility
will presumably provide a way for you to specify a reordering, but
likely to take you a bit of trial and error to figure out the correct
order (and what to "drop"). When testing how your current try imports
into GnuCash you do NOT want to mess up your "production" books. So .......

You make a COPY of the file that is your "production" gnucash books.
Actually best to make TWO copies (so each time you mess up one of these
test files you can copy the other instead of going back to touch
production. You try bringing in the latest version of converted input
(you are testing that you have that field reordering correct) and then
open the test books. Looks OK, then you are done. No, make another copy
of the test books, make whatever fix to the convert-import, and try again.

Only once you are sure you have it correct do you use this
convert-import for real.

Michael