Last year's tax return

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 11:38:14 EDT 2015

On 9/9/2015 9:50 AM, melbogia wrote:
> Hello, I have been using gnucash for a little over a year, and I have set
> up taxes like so
>
> Expenses:Taxes:Federal
> Expenses:taxes:State
>
> When I filed tax return for 2014, I owed some taxes so I filed them under
> the above categories. So a sample ledger looks like so:
>
> Expenses:Taxes:Federal (Expenses:Taxes:State looks similar)
> 3/30/15   pay check federal tax   200.00
> 4/15/15   2014 federal tax           500.00
> 4/30/15   pay check federal tax   200.00
>
> The problem is that when I run an expense report, it includes the 2014
> federal taxes, so the taxes I paid this year looks inflated. Technically I
> did pay the 2014 taxes this year but those taxes were for last year. How
> are folks handling this? Is there a better way? Should I just "back date"
> the 2014 taxes to 12/31/14 so it doesn't show up in my expense report for
> this year?
>
> mel

Mel,
I have created several sub-accounts for each type of tax.  Thus I have a
separate sub-account for payments that accompany tax returns, and a
sub-account for each unit that is paying tax on my behalf and will be
sending me a W-2 or 1099 at the end of the year.  Then I can easily
compare each form with my records.

David C