GnuCash on Windows 10 Locale issue

Sachin Patil nihcas at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 09:11:25 EDT 2015

Hi,

For those who are searching for Windows 10 compatibility with GnuCash, this
was my experience:

GnuCash mostly works with Windows 10 as with previous versions of windows,
except in certain locales, it has a strange artefact.
I use the English(Singapore) locale on my upgraded Windows 8.1 laptop.
On 8.1 using the English(Singapore) locale the number format was correctly
shown.
After the upgrade to Windows 10, positive numbers started appearing with a
prepended "plus" sign in registers and reports. So what was shown as 7,
shows up as +7 and what was S$7 now appears as +S$7.

Changing the locale on the Windows 10 machine to English(US) or
English(Australia), the numbers show up correctly.
I tested with some other English locales and most of the African English
locales such as English(South Africa) also exhibit this behaviour.

So something has definitely changed in the Windows 10 locale and
GnuCash/GTK will probably need to be updated to support these changes.

My current workaround is to change the windows locale to English(Australia)
and manually override the default currency and date formats.

-Sachin