Need better documentation on using Lots [Was: Chapter 8 - investment accounts]

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Sun Sep 13 18:42:08 EDT 2015

(Darn! Forgot to change subject again in last email)

> [...]
>> one:
>>> A lot consists of a single buy transaction and sales are first-in,
>> first-out. If
>>> that?s not what you want, you have to handle all of it manually and ignore
>>> the View Lots dialog.

>> having
>>> trouble translating the "Concepts of Lots", the only documentation that I
>> can
>>> locate, to the "View Lots..." screen functionality. For example, the
>> screen
>>> menu button "Scrub" and what it does is not documented as far as I can
>>> determine.
>>> functions translate to the "Concepts of Lots". Maybe there isn't any?
>> screen.
>>> I cannot seem to find any other method, manual or otherwise, for "Lots"
>>> anywhere in gnc.

>>> Investment accounts?. Have you studied that chapter?
>>> version can be read online at
>>> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_invest.html.
>>> Hi John
>>>
>>> Yes I have studied  Chapter 8 intently, particularly the 8.7 Selling Stock
>>> section. There is no mention of the "View Lots..." screen anywhere in that
>>> chapter.
>>>
>>> The 8.7 section discusses manually creating a stock sell splits, but There
>> is no
>>> mention of how to specify a lot associating the sale with a buy.
>>>
>>> So I am assuming there is no documentation documenting how to use the
>>> "View Lots..." screen.
>>>
>>> After some painful experimentation I have come up with a somewhat poor
>>> recipe to record lots and capture capital gains. The pain/poorness comes
>>> from trying to translate the "proceeds", "cost basis" and "gain/loss"
>>> from my broker account reports into the "sell price" and "commission" in
>> gnc,
>>> such that the capital gains gets recorded correctly. However, I do not
>> feel
>>> that is a gnc problem.
>>>
>>> I'd like to thank "Mike" in a previous post for the clues to figure it
>> out.
>>> Here is the recipe I am going to use going ahead.
>>>
>>> 1. record buy of stocks with care to get accurate cost of shares.
>>> 2. Actions > View Lots...: Select the added stock purchase record, press
>>> create lot.
>>> 3. record sell of same stocks. Do not follow Chapter 8.7 as it includes
>> the
>>> gain/loss in the split. The split should only have the proceeds to the
>> asset
>>> account, the commission, and the shares-price-sale.
>>> 4. Actions > View Lots...: Select the lot with the stocks just sold. The
>> "Splits in
>>> Lot should show the selected purchase. The Splits Free should show the
>> sale
>>> just created.
>>> 5. Select the sale in the Splits Free window.
>>> 6. Press the >> button to associate the Sale with the Buy.
>>> 7. Close the View Lots window.
>>> 8. An Orphaned Gain record should have bee automatically created with,
>>> hopefully, the correct gain or loss amount. Edit the record to direct the
>>> gain/loss to the appropriate short or long capital gain account.
>> Hi Philip,
>>
>> I haven't investigated using lots for capital gains much but I came across
>> this today and wonder if you've seen it?
>> (Sorry if you already have)
>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots
>>
>> If you'd like to put something together that I could just include in the
>> GnuCash Guide, without having to change any of the content, just the
>> formatting, I'd be happy to do it when I get a chance? As you've discovered,
>> trying to figure out how something works can be a lot of work and I don't
>> think I could add your hints in their current form.
>>
>> If so, please add a GnuCash bug and attach a file with the content, so it
>> doesn't get lost.
>>
>> Even if you don't have time to go this extra step, thanks for taking the
>> time to improve GnuCash!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris Good
> Yes, I did read the "Concept of Lots", but it contained no reference as to how it was implemented in GnuCash. Hence the thread I started and the learning process I went through.
>
> It could take quite awhile (couple of months at most) for me to get to it, due some upcoming travel, but I could give it a go. Would it be appropriate to create the bug (enhancement) and request that it be assigned back to me for eventual closure?
>
> Philp

Hi Philip,

Yes, it would be appropriate but if you just say in the bug that you intend to do this yourself, that is probably enough to stop any one else from duplicating effort.

Regards,
Chris Good