Help with a scenario

KallistiMan gnucash at elehu.se
Sun Sep 13 18:28:30 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I have a use case with multiple denominations where I'm not sure about the best way to record my transcations. Any assistance about best practices would be greatly appreciated!

So, I have an account with a financial institution in my local currency. I purchase stocks/funds in this currency and others. For instance, the local currency could be Euro and the asset in USD.

An example order would be purchasing a stock from NASDAQ. I have an account for the financial institution in my local currency. I also have an account in for the stock in the second currency - with FC updating the values*. I would prefer this order to be one transaction in GC. The order involves:
1. Amount LocalCurrencyAmount withdrawn from the financial institution account - amount provided by the institution.
2. Amount LocalCurrencyAmount converted to RemoteCurrencyAmount - exchange rate provided by the institution.
3. Amount RemoteCurrencyAmount is used to purchase the requested number of stocks - price provided by the institution.
4. Amount Fee is withdrawn from the financial institution account (deposited as Expense:Banking fees) - fee provided by the institution.

Right now I am recording three transactions (transfer from account 1 to currency account, transfer from currency account to stocks account, transfer from account 1 to expense fee account). Is it possible to record this in one nice split transaction?

The easiest way would of course be to just purchase (in GC) the stocks using my local currency, but then how would I record the currency exchange rate, which is different from the purchase price, correctly?

Best,
KallistiMan

*) I've fixed the SEB and Morningstar (SE) FC scripts (they were not working), would that be of interest for someone else? I'm also working on a new Morningstar BE script, how would that be added?