Using MySQL with GnuCash

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Sep 14 16:00:29 EDT 2015

On Tue 15 September 15 01:47:51 Hossain wrote:
> IS there any work around ? what if I use the option "create a new file"
> offered above.
> What does it do ? IS there any way I can do this ?

You can't have 2 users editing the same set of accounts at the same time.
Irrespective of SQL or XML data store etc.  You will loose data if you try.
Imagine 2 users trying to edit a wordprocessor document at the same time.  The
changes made by one user will be destroyed by the second user.  Exactly the
same in GC.

You can have several sessions of GC running on one PC working on different
sets of accounts - eg personal, company, charitable org.   I imagine that a
SQL server will allow multiple databases, but I don't know for sure.

the "create a new file" option will do exactly that - create a new, empty
accounts file.

HTH,
Maf.

> On 15-Sep-2015 1:45 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 14 September 2015 at 20:41, Hossain <contacthossain at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I did it  but GNUCash from remote PC can only use MySQL , when the Server
> >> PC is not using another GNUCash ( two application at  d same time). When
> >> Server PC
> >> is already running GNUCash, starting another GNUCash from client PC says
> >> "GUNCASH
> >> couldnt obtain the lock for mysql://gunuser@192.168.0.102/gnucash. That
> >> database
> >> maybe in use by another user, in which case you shoudnt open the
> >> database,
> >> What wud
> >> u like to do? " It has 4 options- Open Read Only, Create New File, Open
> >> Anyway, Quit .
> >> I dont know wat to do now. I want to use GNUCash at d same time from two
> >> PCs.
> >
> > You can't.  Gnucash does not yet support multiple users at the same
> > time, even when using mysql.
> >
> > Colin

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542