Add an account to hold investments

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Sep 15 12:52:43 EDT 2015

> On Sep 15, 2015, at 9:11 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>>> On Sep 11, 2015, at 12:49 AM, Sandip P. Deshmukh <deshmukh.sandip at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is my problem:
>>>
>>> Start Gnucash -> New Account Hierarchy -> Investment Accounts -> Finish creates:
>>>
>>> (Account Name: Security/ Currency : Placeholder : Account Type format)
>>>
>>> Assets : USD : Placeholder : Asset
>>> -  Investments : USD : Placeholder : Asset
>>>  - Brokerage Account : USD: Live : Bank
>>>    - Bond : USD : Live : Stock
>>>
>>> In this Bond account, I can create multiple securities, say an AMZN security containing AMZN stock, etc.
>>>
>>> But when I try creating another account similar to Bond at a same position (child of Brokerage Account), I can not select Security/ Currency as USD and account type as Stock.
>>>
>>> How do I get that done?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help in advance.
>>
>> You shouldn’t have been able to create the “Bond” account as type
>> STOCK with a currency either, the dialog should have emptied the
>> Security/currency selector and blocked currencies when you set the
>> account type to STOCK. How did you get around that the first time?
>
> I believe it is a long-standing bug in the New Hierarchy assistant..

At least two bugs: One in Accounts/C/acctchrt_brokerage.gnucash-xea for creating the wrong account types and one in src/engine/account.c for allowing the mismatch between commodity and account type. Then there’s the MVC bug that the restriction is coded directly in the New/Edit Account dialog instead of asking an Account class function what the policy is.

Fixing the first one is trivial, and I’ll do it shortly. Whether the other pieces should be fixed in maint or as part of the C++ rewrite is worthy of discussion.

Regards,
John Ralls