Need better documentation on using Lots [Was: Chapter 8 - investment accounts]

Philip Walden pcwalden at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 12:12:21 EDT 2015

David Carlson wrote:
> On 9/10/2015 5:30 PM, Philip Walden wrote:
>> David Carlson wrote:

>>> Snip...
>>>
>>> First, if you have a data file that is you consider 'real' then I
>>> suggest making a copy or two as Michael suggested in another thread to
>>> use for testing.
>>>
>>> There is a lengthy set of options for most reports, and, alas, that is
>>> another area that needs better documentation.
>>>
>>> The Balance Report listed in the Reports>Asset & Liabilities section can
>>> be set to include any asset and liability accounts that you want and it
>>> can be set to report balances on any date and there are more options as
>>> well.  For the test that I first suggested lets say that you sold all of
>>> the Google shares that you once owned.  You would choose
>>> Options>Accounts then click Clear All and scroll through the list to
>>> select the Google stock security Account where all of the shares have
>>> been sold, and there are no shares remaining.  The report options box
>>> can be expanded to show more accounts at a time.  For consistency,
>>> choose Commodities>Price Source>Average Cost and I think all the
>>> defaults under Display are ok , and choose General> Balance Sheet Date
>>> to a date after the last sale.  With that setting there will be no
>>> unrealized Gain or equity if all of the value of the account has been
>>> removed and converted to an appropriate gain or loss.  If there is a
>>> value, then some of the cash into that account has not been removed, and
>>> the imbalance will ultimately skew your net worth report.  Since the
>>> Show Lots dialog is supposed to help you achieve that balance, the
>>> report would test whether it succeeded.
>> Thank you for the advice. It has been awhile since I ran any reports
>> (since tax season).
>>
>> I performed the following test.
>>
>> 1. I created a test copy of real gnucash data.
>> 2. Then I went to the stock account under test and created one (1)
>> sell transaction for all the remaining stock in the account at a made
>> up price and a significant commission.
>> 3. I then selected Actions>View Lots... The "View Lots..." screen came
>> up showing the sell record (2) in the Free splits window. It also
>> showed all the lots I had created previously, basically one lot for
>> every stock purchase at some date-and-price.
>> 4. I clicked on "Scrub Account" to apply the one sell record (split)
>> to all remaining lots.
>> 5. The result was that all the lots in the account had a fraction of
>> the sell allocated that zeroed out the shares in the lot. The original
>> sell transaction (split) was changed such that the sell record was
>> divided up into multiple sell records, one for each lot. In addition
>> the same number of orphaned capital gain records were generated. The
>> gain calculations looks like it allocated the commission to rationally
>> to each gain.
>> 6. I then ran a Reports>Assets & Liabilities>Balance Sheet report.
> [...]
No need to split the lot. If you have a lot of 10 shares, and then sell
5, just create the Sell transaction for 5 shares. Then when you view
lots, manually select the lot with the 10 shares. At that point you can
manually add the Sell to the lot using the >> button, or you can use the
"Scrub" button. Once the Sell is added to the lot, you can see the total
for the lot drop to 5 and a gain/loss transaction will be automatically
created.