What account for family finances

Gio Bacareza gbacareza at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 05:43:39 EDT 2015

Hi,

This is how we do it:
1. We've set up a bank account and we both put our monthly contributions
there.
2. We try to spend from that bank account through a debit card.
3. There are times where we spend but we dont use that account. That needs
to be tracked.
4. We also spend from credit cards. Sometimes I pay off the credit card.
Sometimes she does.

The goal is to be able to track our contributions. It's easy when all
expenses are taken out of the joint bank account. It's when we spend
outside that account.

Now I've set it up so our contributions are "Income."

The problem I am seeing is that when I try to track contributions and
expenses using cash flow, the expenses that are entered directly from our
accounts eg husband account, wife account, is not captured. (I don't know
why.)

how would you set it up?

thanks

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 September 2015 at 09:40, Gio Bacareza <gbacareza at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm managing our family expenses by having a pot where my wife and I
> would
> > put our contributions on a monthly basis.
> >
> > What account should I make the pot?
>
> Is this an actual pot that you put cash in?  If so then it wants to be
> an account of type Cash.  I have a top level acct of type Asset called
> Cash & Current that contains all my bank accts, cash etc.  For me it
> would go under this top level acct.  Possibly it would be called
> Cashpot.
>
> Colin
>

> > --
> > cheers,