Bank account balance incorrect after import from Quicken

Sean Porterfield gnc20150530 at sf.porterfield.net
Sun Sep 20 17:41:12 EDT 2015

On 09/02/15 08:29, Tom Allred wrote:
> David,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I'm hoping that gnucash will be a suitable
> replacement for quicken which has served me well for 20 years.  Yes, it's
> been a little frustrating so far.  It's nice that folks have offered
> suggestions but the focus seems to be my lack of understanding of accounting
> or some error I made during import.  The only thing that's confusing me is
> why an accounting program would arbitrarily create an erroneous transaction.
> Magical transactions don't seem fundamentally sound.

I imported my data from Quicken, also having been a 20 year user there.

In 1995, Quicken absolutely did not require a category for a
transaction.  I had many such oddities in my data that did not appear to
be a problem in Quicken and only showed up when GnuCash imported the
data file.

I can't know what happened for the OP, but I do know all the "import
errors" I found in my data were due to the original data exported from
Quicken.
--
Sean Porterfield