Recording and viewing Splits

Alex mcmurchy1917-gnucash at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 09:42:20 EDT 2015

Hi All

If I record a cheque as income which needs to be allocated to a variety
of Income accounts I set up a split transaction in the Bank Account (Asset).

I give it a general description and the total value of the cheque, then
in each line of the split ignoring the Action field, I record a
specific description in the Memo field, the income account it relates in
the Account field and then the value in the appropriate field

For sake of example say I have 5 lines in my split transaction all of
which relate to one specific Income account but with different
descriptions in the Memo field.

So my split transaction looks like

22/09/2015     BP     General Description
Asset Account            £1000.00
                                  Specific Description 1 Income Account
                                 £200.00
                                  Specific Description 2 Income Account
                                 £200.00
                                  Specific Description 3 Income Account
                                 £200.00
                                  Specific Description 4 Income Account
                                 £200.00
                                  Specific Description 5 Income Account
                                 £200.00

Why is it when I look at the Income account, it doesn't show the Memo
Field where I've put the specific description, so all I see is

22/09/2015     BP      General Description     -- Split Transaction --
                               £200.00
22/09/2015     BP      General Description     -- Split Transaction --
                               £200.00
22/09/2015     BP      General Description     -- Split Transaction --
                               £200.00
22/09/2015     BP      General Description     -- Split Transaction --
                               £200.00
22/09/2015     BP      General Description     -- Split Transaction --
                               £200.00

Whereas I would hope to see

22/09/2015     BP      Specific Description 1     Asset Account
                            £200.00
22/09/2015     BP      Specific Description 2     Asset Account
                            £200.00
22/09/2015     BP      Specific Description 3     Asset Account
                            £200.00
22/09/2015     BP      Specific Description 4     Asset Account
                            £200.00
22/09/2015     BP      Specific Description 5     Asset Account
                            £200.00

Have I misunderstood something or is this just a feature of gnucash.

BTW. If I generate an Account Report I see this -

22/09/15    BP    General Description - Specific Description 1    --
Split Transaction --        £200.00
22/09/15    BP    General Description - Specific Description 2    --
Split Transaction --        £200.00
22/09/15    BP    General Description - Specific Description 3    --
Split Transaction --        £200.00
22/09/15    BP    General Description - Specific Description 4    --
Split Transaction --        £200.00
22/09/15    BP    General Description - Specific Description 5    --
Split Transaction --        £200.00

Alex