HBCI online banking with "Volksbank" chipcard

Sven Bartscher sven.bartscher at weltraumschlangen.de
Tue Sep 22 16:00:53 EDT 2015

Greetings,

I have been trying to switch to GnuCash from a proprietary finance
program (that only runs on Windows :( ).
I'm trying to configure online banking via FinTS (HBCI) to an account
at the german "Volksbank", but it doesn't work.

From the main window I go to "Tools -> Online Banking Setup...", in the
opened window I click "Forward", then I click "Start AqBanking Wizard"
and then "Create User", "Next", "HBCI backend using AqHBCI" and "Next",
"Import an already used chipcard" and "Next".
After a short time I'm asked to put the chipcard into the reader and
then press "Ok", so I did. The process window closes after that,
leaving me at the AqBanking user list, without a created user.

Does anyone have experience with getting such a setup (or a similar)
working or knows any hints what might help me?

My (relevant) machine specs:
  OS: Debian testing "Stretch"
  GnuCash: Version 2.6.7
  aqbanking-tools: Version 5.6.1beta-2