Budget Reporting Issues

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 27 18:09:43 EDT 2015

Wm,

Thank you for your reply.

As for specific points you make:

1) I am not sure the earlier exercise to which you refer. I do know that there is a longstanding bug requesting report documentation, and also that this bug has languished. Can you give me a better reference from which to work specifically on documenting the Budget Reports?

2) My intention is to improve the documentation for the reports, although whether this will end up in the Help file or the Guide is not certain at this point. My predilection is to put it in the Guide.

3) You state that the only report that is useful or necessary is the Budget Report; if that is true, perhaps we can shortcircuit the entire exercise by removing these other reports if they are truly not useful or used.

*** Can anyone else weigh in on these reports? Are they actually useful? Is anyone using them? If no one is using them, and they are not useful, perhaps they could be removed from the package, thus eliminating the entire documentation issue altogether.

4) Since you feel that understanding budgets will explain to me how the budget reports are intended to work, please tell me what I should understand about budgets in order to understand the reports. I freely admit that my undersanding of the budget features is superficial, but I do understand that they can establish predicted amounts for a user-selected set of accounts over a user-selected set of time periods. I also understand that the Budget Report allows me to view budget and actual data on an entire set of books for a given budget. Please tell me how to move from this point to a point where the *other* reports make sense. What specifically will help me understand these other reports?

5) Thank you for pointing out the default Budget option under File Properties. ***Could a developer please explain why there are GnuCash preferences filed in two different locations?*** I don’t understand how this could make sense.

6) Regarding saving custom reports, my point in this is to document the existing reports included with GnuCash; I am not interested in how to save a custom report. But thank you anyway.

David