Budget Reporting Issues

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 16:44:16 EDT 2015

Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:26:56 <2070619.FjQUVYoCrr at legolas.kobaltwit.lan>
Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote...

>On Sunday 27 September 2015 18:09:43 David T. wrote:
>> 5) Thank you for pointing out the default Budget option under File
>> Properties. ***Could a developer please explain why there are GnuCash
>> preferences filed in two different locations?*** I don’t understand
>> how this could make sense.
>>
>Yes, that I can do :)

The File Properties are settings that are for this particular book only.
The Edit
Preferences are global settings which will apply to all books you would
create. Many
users only have one book, so for them there's no real difference.

plus the Edit / Preferences are per user account if more than one person
uses the book (not at the same time), so I may have my dates yyyy-mm-dd
and a colleague dd-mm-yyyy

I realize this is confusing for some people. Thinking about it we should
perhaps
move the menu option File->Properties to the Edit menu right below or
above the
Preferences option and call it "Book Properties" ?

I certainly think it would be clearer if they were adjacent, "Book
Properties" is clear, how about "User Preferences" to make the
distinction really clear or would that be overkill?

Edit does seem more logical than File, also shouldn't File / Page Setup
be moved to Edit too, alongside Style Sheets?

--
Wm...