Why are my VAT accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 30 11:18:39 EDT 2015

Andy (et al),

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 2:05 AM, andy <contact at acorncoopsupport.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I'll ask my client if they still have a copy of the file pre
>> upgrade. I only get their file at the end of year to do their
>> reports. However I did set up their accounts with them and used the
>> UK VAT Accounts option, did their accounts last year and the VAT
>> appeared in the right reports.
>>
>> I've just tried to set up a new file (attached) I used the UK VAT
>> Option and it automatically sets up VAT as an expense account and
>> not a Liability (which it usually is even if actually a negative
>> liability)
>>
>> I hope this helps. I am very happy to answer UK accounting questions
>> to help develop GNUcash but I don't understand programming to help
>> with that side.
>
> Andy,
>
> Please copy the list on all replies.
>
> Thanks, I’ll have a look at the template. I still need to know from
> what version of GnuCash your client upgraded to 2.6.7.

Is this a new file that was created with new templates?  Or is it an old
file that somehow, magically "changed" account types across the upgrade?
I would be EXTREMELY surprised if it's the latter.  That would be a
significant bug if existing accounts in an existing data file magically
got changed across a version bump.

IF, however, it's a new data file created from a new template....  Then
yes, I could see there being changes to the templates over time that
could cause confusion.