GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:41:01 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Ron Schnatzmeyer <NoSoy1 at charter.net>
wrote:

> Getdeb repository doesn't seem to work.
>
> I installed package 'getdeb'.
> Ran 'sudo apt-get update'
> Clicked the 'install this now' button.
> It appeared to install but when I start it, it is version 2.6.1 dated
> 2014/02/19.
> This is exactly what happened when I tried to install 2.6.7 from getdeb
> and I ended up downloading the source and compiling.
> No clue what I'm doing wrong.

The getdeb package just puts the repository in apt for you, and it may not
have done it right.

Did you see any error messages when you ran sudo apt-get update?

If you are more comfortable with a GUI, open the Software Sources tool
(either from the Ubuntu control panel, or your favorite package manager)
and make sure the repository is correct for your system.

After you make a change, you can use these commands in a terminal:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ apt-cache policy gnucash

Here's what mine says right now:

$ apt-cache policy gnucash
gnucash:
  Installed: 1:2.6.7-1~getdeb1
  Candidate: 1:2.6.8-1~getdeb1
  Version table:
     1:2.6.8-1~getdeb1 0
        500 http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/ trusty-getdeb/apps amd64
Packages
 *** 1:2.6.7-1~getdeb1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:2.6.1-2 0
        500 http://ftp.utexas.edu/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages

NOTE that if you are NOT running "actual" Ubuntu (if you are running
Cinnamon, Mint, Peppermint, Bit-O-Honey, or whatever) you will want to
figure out what distro it's based on. Many are based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
"Trusty," but you need to know what your system is using if you are going
to use getdeb.