Australia GST setup

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 05:23:23 EDT 2016

Hi David, thank you for this experienced view.

A couple of issues from the illustrated RCTI as above:

1. Every RCTI includes both GST from sales and GST paid, and the difference
is then owed/receivable to the Tax office. Therefore, every transaction
will obligatorily include a split into the BAS account so that it balances
out. Hence the BAS account will accumulate splits from every income
transaction, rather than 4/year. The BAS account must also be kept uptodate
with every GST-claimable expense, etc. How annoying.

2. As it turns out, I run a GST-light enterprise (healthcare) therefore I
mostly have GST-free sales but pay GST through the service fee; therefore
each invoice leads to more GST that the tax office owes me. Hence in my
setup the GST belongs to the Asset root account, with Asset:GST:Paid being
an asset account, Asset:GST:Collected being an asset contra-account I
guess, and the Asset:GST:BAS being an asset contra-account. (btw do I tell
gnucash these are all asset accounts even though these are technically
asset contra-accounts?)

Perhaps the bottom line is that all RCTI transactions are better off being
split into the 'income + gst collected' and 'expenses + gst paid'
transactions. Therefore the GST:BAS account is only to be used for payments
to/from the tax office quarterly.

I think I will write these options as above more extensively into the wiki.