Unable to download Chase Amazon Credit Card statement or Regions Bank statements

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Fri Aug 26 22:52:07 EDT 2016

There is some additional background at
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect_in_GnuCash_2#Known_Problems <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect_in_GnuCash_2#Known_Problems>
from the time that Chase changed their security policies.

I don’t think it’s a good idea ever to ask a bank support staff about gnucash. They have no idea what you’re talking about. And they’re likely to make things worse — for example, their inability to help you to think in terms of downloading transactions instead of downloading statements.

Anyway, you’ll need to log into the Chase web site to see if you have any secure messages from them. The deal now is that the first time you try logging in via something like Quicken or gnucash, Chase refuses the connection and tells you to check your “Secure Messages” to find one that has a link that allows you to confirm that the attempted connection was from you. If you were using quicken, I’m pretty sure it would throw up a dialog telling you to go to the web account and confirm the attempt was from you. The message info comes from a non-OFX side channel that I think Intuit calls their ‘branding server’. Aqbanking has no hope of handling Intuit’s proprietary side channel. Though, if you enabled aqbanking’s logging capability and looked at the raw ofx file returned, there’d be some additional info beyond the comm link connection log you can see in gnucash.

If you have any messages from Chase I’d recommend throwing them out and starting over.

You need the Header Version 103 in order for Intuit’s server software (run by the bank) to even attempt to deal with a ClientUID. You need the ClientUID so that the bank has something to hang onto that they’ve verified through the Secure Message. And you need to respond to the Secure Message that’s associated with the attempt using the ClientUID that you’ll need for every future connection. Anything less than all three for the connection you try will result in failure to have access to your ofx data from Chase.

Dave
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com