Trading Accounts

Stefan Söffing soeffing at gmx.de
Mon Dec 5 09:38:43 EST 2016

Hello David,

I'm using the trading accounts since quite some time now. To be honest, however, I don't exactly recall the reason why - all I remember is the fact that at this time I was not able to get my balance sheet to balance without trading accounts.

What I like about the concept of trading accounts is the fact that it conserves the money flow at all times: for exchange transactions without trading accounts, some amount of one currency "disappears" while the other currency just "appears out of nothing". With trading accounts it's true double-entry transactions for each currency amount separately. The trading accounts basically represent the "market" you are trading with, as a source or sink for the foreign currency (therefore they are typically excluded from all reports, as they do not represent assets you own) .
Btw, Peter Selinger's tutorial mostly deals with the accounting principles of trading accounts, so it should still be valid even if GnuCash has evolved since then. It was a tough read for me, but worth the pain.

GnuCash: When trading accounts are enabled, GnuCash should take care of automatically creating additional splits in all transactions which involve two different currencies (same for stocks). The trading accounts themselves are created automatically upon need.
In general, the feature is implemented quite transparently, such that the user does not need to deal with the trading accounts manually (there might be a few exceptions to this, e.g. when creating transactions for realized gains / losses - although the lots feature may assist there as well).

Trading accounts are probably best enabled when creating a new GnuCash file. I have no idea how GnuCash handles this if activated on an existing book, especially whether existing trading transactions are converted to use trading accounts.

Disclaimer: I'm happy to provide any possible input, but please note that I'm just a regular user without any accounting background, my knowledge mostly comes from existing documentation + trial and error...

Cheers
- Stefan