Reports, (the heart of darkness)

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Dec 7 17:30:51 EST 2016

On 12/7/2016 4:51 PM, John Whitmore wrote:
> OK Now I think I have a sensible question. I'm looking at the "Income
> Statement" report which looked good, but I've found a problem. Once I
> file an Invoice in GnuCash it shows up as "Income" I'd have said that
> it's only "Income" when the invoice is actually paid. That's
> distorting my income as it looks like I've got money I don't actually
> have as yet. Is this the way it would be expected to work? I'm not an
> accountant so I could have the wrong impression of things.

This is the fundamental difference between "cash basis" and "accrual basis"

On which basis are you filing taxes? Many businesses are required to use
accrual. Many individuals normally use cash (and some businesses). What
are the rules of YOUR jurisdiction? How have you been filing? There may
be additional complications if switching from one to the other. You
almost certainly want to be keeping your books on the same basis as you
file. Otherwise going to be complex adjustment entries at the end of the
period, which if as you say, not experienced in accounting, you don;t
want to have to tackle.

Michael D Novack