Non-Profits (501C)3 support

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 08:47:08 EST 2016

On 05/12/2016 02:01, james wrote:

> Thanks for the responses. I've forwarded your comments to the person
> running the 501(c)(3), encouraging him to join the gnucash-user list.
>
> Here are a few links he provided::
>
> [1] http://www.ledger-cli.org/

I regard cli accounting as a friend of GnuCash rather than the
competition, there isn't anything one can do that the other can't in
accounting terms, also notice that cli accounting is becoming less so as
time passes, there are UIs and SQL type reports and so on being added
all the time, the principle is that compared to commercial products you
can, if you really want to, see a stream of transactions in ordinary ABC
and 123 terms, gnc can be dumped to cli and vice versa.

I'm not saying you or someone else should choose one or the other, I'm
asking you to thunk which is most likely to get people keeping good
records for the benefit of their non-profit.  I know that for one
non-profit I help out with a basic cli would be a non-starter, no UI and
the tx simply wouldn't get entered.

> [2] http://www.accountingcoach.com/nonprofit-accounting/explanation/1

worth reading, note the bits about restricted funds, that is what people
that are familiar with for-profit orgs usually struggle with conceptually

> [3] https://sfconservancy.org/npoacct/

that's been updated since I read it last but seems to be more face lift
than new content

James, you've got some good links there but don't actually say what the
imperatives for your correspondent are.

I, and I am sure others, are happy to espouse GnuCash, *if we think it
is right* for your org.  I don't have enough to go on.  There is little
harm in trying it, however, as it is easy enough to get your tx in and
out if cli accounting is your alternative.

Happy helping and non-profiteering (if that is even a concept in merka
post Trump)
--
Wm