Recording transactions that happened before the opening balance

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 02:07:03 EST 2016

If it were me, I’d:

a) Adjust the date of Opening balances to before my “new” old transaction—09/01/2016, for example.
b) Adjust the amount of the Opening Balance transaction to remove the “new” transaction amount—in your example by $200.

Note that if you have reconciled the account previously, GnuCash will bark about modifying reconciled transactions, and it would be wise to read Chapter 4.4 of the Tutorial & Guide so that you understand how to manage this circumstance.

Cheers,
David