What is the practical purpose of reconciling in GNUCash?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Dec 12 10:01:43 EST 2016

On Monday, 12 December 2016 06:26:59 GMT replicon wrote:
> Hi all,

<SNIP>

> Seems
> like it's just a confirmation of something everyone should just be doing
> anyway (having the correct balance in the end).
>
> So, I haven't been reconciling anything. Am I missing out on anything
> useful/important? :)

Hi,

that's exactly it.  "To reconcile"  more or less means "to agree".  You and
your bank (or other person/body corporate) agree at some point in time about
which transactions have happened and what the resulting balance is.

You can't really reconcile an expense account, as you (probably) don't have
another person/institution/company to issue a statement and compare against.

Cheers,
Maf.