What is the practical purpose of reconciling in GNUCash?

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Mon Dec 12 18:34:35 EST 2016

On 12/12/2016 5:52 PM, Maf. King wrote:
> On Monday, 12 December 2016 15:11:18 GMT Robert Heller wrote:

> Or in my case, cheques which the bank cleared twice.  Which was nice of them.

Or cleared for an amount different than the amount written on the check.
Had that happen more than once. The first time it took months* to get
straightened out so I had to carry a "bank error" account on the books
till resolved. The second time, multiple banks were involved, never
going to be straightened out with the error being between the banks and
too small an amount for them to bother with << I will not discuss how
dealt with in the books >>

Look, before any computerized system, reconciling the checkbook register
was something we did on paper each month, right? Folks should be
familiar with that process.

Michael D Novack

* a small error in favor of the organization. Since the bank had never
before had this where a non-profit was involved, the branch wanted a
bank wide policy decisions << should small errors in favor of a
non-profit simply be donated to it instead of correcting the balance? <<
THAT had to wait till it got on a board of directors meeting >>