What is the practical purpose of reconciling in GNUCash?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Dec 13 09:03:30 EST 2016

I reconcile my checking and savings accounts each month with my bank
statements, just as I did when I had a paper register in my checkbook.
Gnucash is just a little better than I am at math, everything else is the
same, so there is still a need to reconcile bank accounts. Every few months
I find a service charge from the bank through this process and I go to the
bank and ask them to reverse it. So far, I am batting 1000 with this
process. So it is worth the effort just for that.  Other reasons include
checks misread at the bank, deposits that bounce, checks that are not
cashed, online payments where the decimal place mysteriously moved, etc.

Mark