Capital Gains Documentation

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Thu Dec 15 00:02:55 EST 2016

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 21:02:18 +0500
> From: "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
> To: GNU Cash User <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Subject: Capital Gains Documentation, Redux
>
> Back in October, John Ralls raised the possibility of removing the Guide
> Chapter on Capital Gains as unnecessary. That discussion petered out after
> bit of discussion, but it seems as if the chapter lives on. I propose
having
> it
> removed now.
>
> David T.

Hi David,

IMHO there is some good stuff in there that should be kept. John had a
suggestion for recording unrealised capital gains on your house as a
commodity. I'm not sure of the implications of that but just for personal
finances, I'm wondering what exactly the disadvantages would be of recording

the unrealised gains in an Income:Unrealised Gains account as suggested by
the
guide?

Wouldn't using a house commodity make it difficult to come up with a net
worth that included your house? Even if this is only an estimate, it is
useful to have.

How would a business do it? If using Income:Unrealised Gains is not how it
should be done in formal accounting, then we should change the documentation

to be correct. It would be good if some accountants could give us the
benefit of their experience.

Regards,
Chris Good