Help with GNUCASH for some transaction options

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 11:57:10 EST 2016

> On Dec 15, 2016, at 8:58 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> OK. My point was that the warning about not editing A/R and A/P transactions
>> applies when using the business features.
>>
>> I’m not entirely sure what you mean my manually locking a transaction; are you
>> saying that a user can perform this accidentally, or is it something that the
>> user must actively initiate? If the former, then it seem like that’s a UX
>> problem. If it’s the latter, then presumably the user has a legitimate reason
>> for locking the TXN, and would be aware of invoking this.
>
> Yes, a user manually playing around in an A/R or A/P register can lock a
> transaction if they "accidentally" click in the wrong place.  Once they
> do this, the only recourse is to revert to a backup, there is no
> recovery from the UI.
>
> It's not a UX issue.  "Thou shalt not use the A/R or A/P accounts manually"
>
>> David
>
> -derek

It *is* a UX issue, since any user can create an account and set it to be type A/R or A/P. And even if you are referring to some other aspect of this (rather than the types available in the account type box), it is absurd to think a user could be forced to a backup simply by "clicking in the wrong place.” That is quintessential dumb design.

Thank God I don’t use these features, because I am certain that I would have been screwed royally by this.