gnucash displays dollars as shares

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 17 23:53:41 EST 2016

I assume you’re talking about the Chart of Accounts display.

I am going to assume that when you say “displays dollars as shares in the top level account,” you mean that it is displaying the number of shares as a dollar amount, like this:

My Top Level Account       $500
My Mutual Fund                  500 MFNDX

If this is the problem, then your buy transaction is incorrect; you need to adjust the total dollar amount to reflect the amount you actually paid for the shares. If your holdings are complex (i.e., you have multiple buy and sell transactions for the account), it should suffice to use the aggregated cost basis of your account as the overall price. When you go to edit this transaction, tab into the share price column, delete the price, then tab to the amount column, and enter your total basis. Tabbing to the next split in the transaction will automatically fill in the share price; just be sure to adjust the second split (the one that probably should be assigned to Equity—but may be set to Imbalance-USD, which you might also change) to include the total new amount as well.

If I have misunderstood, write back and fill in more details so that we can try to get at what’s really going on.

HTH,
David