Balance Sheet Problems

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 00:11:19 EST 2016

Pete,

Were you in fact looking at the Imbalance account in Transaction Journal view mode? Perhaps the transactions you were looking at didn’t have Imbalance as the primary split, but there has to be an Imbalance split somewhere in each transaction. You see, in my ten years of using GnuCash, one of the few things I can say with confidence is that I have never seen a transaction appear in a register without having a split assigned to that account. That’s rather fundamental to the software, and someone would have reported it before now.

You say you have deleted the “imbalance entries and all seems fine.” I am glad to hear it.

The thing is, when you deleted the imbalance entries, you actually deleted the entire transaction to which the imbalance splits were assigned (if this terminology is unclear to you, please consult the opening chapters of the Guide, which explain this in some detail), and so whatever else was in those transactions has now been deleted. Should you subsequently find that your accounts are no longer balancing, then this is the likely reason why.

By chance, have you got a backup from before you deleted these? I ask because I know how difficult it can be to recreate missing data if you find later on that you needed to fix the problem in another way.

Cheers,
David