How to change the customer for a job?

Greg Skelhorn gskelhorn at eastlink.ca
Mon Dec 19 08:13:56 EST 2016

On 2016-12-18 9:21 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Greg Skelhorn <gskelhorn at eastlink.ca> writes:
>
>> Oh, rats! I guess I will have to reconsider how I have started using
>> the jobs. I expect I will make errors similar to this and my intended
>> use of active / inactive does not seem to coincide with valid /
>> invalid. I was thinking more along the lines of complete and paid is
>> inactive but still something I would want to see at times. Also, I
>> know I will want to be able to change the customer billed for a
>> project. I will have to give this some thought.
> You need to know a priori who you plan to bill when you create an
> invoice.  That's the Customer.  A Job is just a way to map multiple
> contracts to a single customer.
Great, the connection of multiple projects to a single customer is my
primary goal.

Yes, that is certainly typical. My clients are slightly less tidy.
Perhaps it is only me, however, I have clients with multiple companies
and occasionally between the time the project is added to the books and
when the work is invoiced they decide (or are advised) to have the
project billing changed. I am able to change the customer name for the
invoice as long as it is not posted. I see I can rename / number the job
to indicate it is garbage and create a new one using the number and name
I wish with the new client name.

Just trying to think ahead to say, five years later when looking at the
list of jobs for a customer, for some there may be several of these
garbage jobs come up. Not going to be the overwhelming, just not neat.

Please understand I don't intend to sound ungrateful!

I do not yet know the full capabilities of gnucash nor how I might be
able to report the job data. As I started adding my customers, invoices
and jobs in to make use of the A/R I thought it might be my primary
customer / job data set. I don't really have the time or resources to
maintain multiple business data sets. I am not sure if using gnucash as
my primary customer / job data storage is sensible or not. Do you think
I am trying something out of the scope of gnucash intended use?

Our business records have not kept up with the times! The handwritten
job log and index and old DOS based bookkeeping software is what I am
migrating from.

Regards,

Greg