Trial Balance

david.carlson.417@gmail.com david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 00:23:34 EST 2016

    I use it to check for errors in realized capital gains values in closing security transactions.  The value of a security account should go to zero when the number of shares goes to zero if the gain value is correctly calculated.
David C
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: Stefan SöffingDate: Thu, Dec 22, 2016 1:40 PMTo: gnucash-user at gnucash.org;Subject:Re: Trial Balance
I'm not using it regularly, but for me it turned out to be useful intracking issues with multi-currency transactions...- StefanAm 22.12.2016 um 18:47 schrieb Mike or Penny Novack:> On 12/22/2016 11:38 AM, Michael via gnucash-user wrote:>> Thanks Dave for the reply.  It seems to be something with my data. >> OK on 2.6.14 but not 2.6.15.  I tried a simple new test account on>> 2.6.15 and trial balance is as expected.  With my real account data,>> two columns of numbers are there, but only one sum. I must have>> something in one column that prevents a sum. Thanks again. Mike>> I must admit to being slightly curious. What are people using the> "Trial Balance" FOR?>> Having learned bookkeeping back in the old days of pen and ink on> paper, I know what I used the trial balance for. Since manually> "posting" the entries from the "journal" to the "ledger" quite> possible to have transcribed an number incorrectly, so the ledger> COULD be out of balance (this a common type of error), so it was then> "find the error" (has to be between now and the previous Trial Balance).>> But "autoposting" software like gnucash will not make this sort of> error << any unposted portion of a transaction will be in Imbalance,> for example --- so simply check that Imbalance and Orphan have zero> balance. >> Anyway, a package like gnucash sort of works in reverse> with the transactions being entered directly into the ledger and the> Journal being virtual << you can run a report that would be the> journal >>>> So when are people using gnucash running a Trial Balance and what is> being done with it?>> Michael D Novack>>> _______________________________________________> gnucash-user mailing list> gnucash-user at gnucash.org> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user> -----> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All._______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing listgnucash-user at gnucash.orghttps://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.