Change to mortgage P&I caused by extra payment

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Fri Dec 23 00:57:04 EST 2016

There are lots of mortgage products where the GNUCash mortgage
calculator is of little use. Having an interest rate that can vary
during the term of the loan, mortgage offset accounts* and early payment
of part of the principal (as you did) will all throw its rather simple
view of mortgages out the window. Even for those mortgages where
GNUCash's view of the world matches the bank's, the bank's exact
rounding formulas can still throw out the interest calculation so that
GNUCash doesn't exactly match the bank's calculation.

Fully fixed-term fixed-interest mortgages for the whole principal are
unusual here in Australia. Less so, I understand, in the USA.

You could re-do the mortgage schedule from the next month after your
additional payment, and than again after any further additional payments
you make.

When we last had a mortgage, it was variable interest, had the ability
to have a mortgage offset account (which we didn't use), and the ability
to redraw against any advance payments we'd made. We didn't use the
redraw facility, but we made advance payments most months.

I just ran a spreadsheet to calculate an approximate interest amount,
and compared that to the bank's interest to make sure there weren't any
major discrepancies.

Peter

* An account that doesn't pay interest, but whose balance is subtracted
from the loan balance when calculating the mortgage's monthly interest
amount. In Australia, this has both value and tax advantages, because
you're effectively earning the interest rate of the mortgage on the sum
in the offset account, but it's not counted as income by the tax office.
I didn't use it on our mortgage, because there was a fee of nearly
AUD100/year, whereas there was no fee on using the advance
payments/redraw facility, which has the same value and tax advantages.