Change to mortgage P&I caused by extra payment

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Fri Dec 23 10:02:57 EST 2016

On 12/23/2016 1:33 AM, JimR wrote:
> Thanks Peter.  The mortgage is actually variable 2.75%, but locked at
> that rate for the first 5 years.  After that, it can only change once
> each year.

There are simply too many possibilities for how an amortization table is
created for us to expect agreement to the penny << where rounded off,
how the end condition (the final payment) is to be treated,  etc. >>

When you make an additional principle pyement, in effect you have
eliminated a payment in whole or in part << if you make the extra amount
match the principle payment you have eliminated that payment and are
skipping to the next >>  You might try having gnucash recalculated as if
it were a new loan for the new amount and the N remaining payments. If
the extra payment you made is NOT the exact amount of principle for the
next N payments the "new loan" is the only way you can do it. But do NOT
expect agreeing to the penny << I have written programs to calculate
payments and produce amortization tables in my day -- including ones
where it was possible to induce them to readjust to match what a bank
had, but THAT perforce a manual operation of the sort "try adjusting up
(or down) a penny >>

Michael D Novack