All Scheduled Transactions Disappear

aeneas receiver at gowdygroup.net
Sat Dec 24 15:44:07 EST 2016

John,

First, this experience proves the merit of your suggestion about devising
more proactive backup.  I'll definitely be looking for an improved method.
This is actually one of the negatives associated with using MySQL.  In that,
the backup will have to be a separated from the use of GnuCash.

Thanks for the tip about renaming.  My mind was thinking there ought to be a
way to salvage the data but I had know idea it could be so easy.  I will
give it a try for purely academic reasons if nothing else.  I did make a
backup of the problem DB which provides me something to play with.

I've also been in touch with my hosting service and they were able to
restore the DB to a state prior to when I became aware of any problems.  I
haven't spent very much time with it yet and will make a backup before
accessing it with GnuCash.  However, using phpMyAdmin I do notice that my
Scheduled Transactions now appear to be in the schedxactions table as I
think they should.  I also noticed the presence of the complete set of
foo_back tables and your explanation suggested they should have been
dropped.  Is it possible that they don't get dropped until GnuCash wants to
do the next rename?  In that, my restored DB has a problem if they are not
supposed to be present but keeping them around lends itself to this type of
recovery at the cost of more storage consumption, which could be considered
desirable.  One might think that GnuCash could offer some recovery options
by retaining the tables.  Might developers be working on some such
capability?