Accounting for Realized gains/losses

Stefan Söffing soeffing at gmx.de
Tue Dec 27 12:58:43 EST 2016

Hi Alberto,

happy xmas and thanks for your reply.

Am 27.12.2016 um 18:46 schrieb Alberto Dante:
> 1) Theoretically, Peter Selinger tutorial states that there are no
> differences on capital gain calculations of goods, securities (stock,
> bond, fund, ...) and currencies.
> Practically, GC can handle completely capital gain (unrealized and
> realized) only using securities (Mutual Fund and Stock account type).
>
> 2) Trading account stores all kind of capital gains (due to securities
> and currencies fluctuations), but:
> - securities in Mutual Fund and Stock account type: after a total
> sell, trading account is cleaned from their contributions (unrealized
> capital gains become realized);
> - multy-currency transactions capital gains contributions (realized
> and unrealized) always stay in trading account.
In my opinion, trading accounts in GnuCash should handle both situations
equally well. In fact, for funds and stocks the gains/losses are only
removed from trading accounts by explicitly stating the gain/loss split
(manually or using the Lots feature). The same is true for
multi-currency transaction. My personal problem with the latter is,
however, that I do have quite many multi-currency txns and don't want to
create the gain/loss explicitly for each one - thereby causing
gains/losses to aggregate in the respective trading accounts...

- Stefan