Trouble with OFX and my bank, Kinecta Federal Credit Union

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Mon Feb 1 21:32:35 EST 2016

Hmm. If you want to grasp at straws:
  Launch Gnucash with the logging option you used earlier
  Update the Application Version to 2500 (might as well make it the most recent)
  Change the Header Version in the same dialog from “102” to “103”
  Back on the User Settings tab in the same dialog, paste a UUID into the Client UID box

To get a UUID, go to the Terminal.app and type

uuidgen

copy the output, paste it into an editor and strip out the hyphens. Paste the remaining characters into  the Client UID entry.

Now try a connection.

The only reason this setup would work would be that Kinecta has flipped the switch in Intuit’s server software to require multifactor authentication. Quicken totally hides the Client UID from users. So Kinecta wouldn’t have mentioned it any time, because it isn’t on their scripts. However, the bank does need to do something to verify that the Client UID that some version of Quicken sent them does in fact belong to your copy of Quicken instead of someone else’s. When Chase flipped the switch in November, there was a note in the ofx.log saying something like “go check your secure email at Chase.com <http://chase.com/>”. Then there was another hoop to jump through after logging into the web site.

There is also the possibility that you’ve tripped some maximum number of login attempts without succeeding. Even if multifactor authentication was the cause, you may have to find some way to have the bank reset your access.

Dave
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com