Using the register

cholmes27 at windstream.net cholmes27 at windstream.net
Tue Feb 2 13:50:34 EST 2016

I am not a programmer. I am a very basic user coming from Quicken and want to know if it is possible to set up categories in the ledger for Gnu Cash. I want to use these to generate income and expense reports like I did in Quicken. In quicken entries, I would have a description of the bank transaction and then a category. Is it possible to do this in GnuCash? I may have set up the accounts incorrectly when I first used the program. Basically, I am exporting from my bank account into a QIF format that I open in GnuCash. What I would like to do is be able to have a column for categories instead of the Transfer column that appears when I open the account.

If you provide an answer, it needs to be in very un-computer geek language. Have mercy on me!

Thanks,

Chuck Holmes